Applying to the graduate program is a two-part process. The following materials must be submitted online to the Office of the Graduate School:
- A completed application form for graduate study at MSU
- Official transcripts from previous institutions
- A GPA of 3.00
- An academic writing sample in English
- General Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
The Office of the Graduate School will forward your application to our department for review. We will admit about 10 students each year. Because of the course sequencing, we prefer that all incoming students start in the fall. To be considered for funding, we encourage you to apply by February 15th.
We look at applicants as a whole package, including GPA, GRE, letters of recommendation, purpose statement, and fit for our program. As a general rule, a strong candidate will have a GPA of 3.0 or better, a competitive GRE score, and strong letters of recommendation.