The Social Work Program at Mississippi State University (Starkville campus) is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Social work is both a challenging and rewarding profession with the primary goal of helping people help themselves. The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree is recognized by the profession of social work as the first practice degree. The BSW graduate is prepared to work as a generalist social work practitioner in a variety of practice settings. These include, but are not limited to the following: child welfare service agencies, family services, medical hospitals, mental health clinics, public health clinics, home health agencies, nursing homes, industries, juvenile and family court, shelters for battered women and children, neighborhood and community services.
The social work program incorporates a liberal arts perspective into the social work curriculum. This liberal arts perspective enhances the person-environment focus of generalist social work practice. Although students may declare social work as a major upon admission to the University, there is a formal admission process into the social work program. The criteria for admission into the program includes:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.0 and completion of specific general and liberal arts electives
- Completion of the following social work courses with a minimum grade of "C":
- SW 2303 Social Welfare Policy I
- SW 3013 Human Behavior in the Social Environment I
- SW 3003 Populations at Risk
- Completion of SW 2213 Intro to Social Work (including 30 hrs of service learning) with a minimum grade of "B";
- Completion of "Application for Admission";
- Students must complete an application with three reference letters and complete personal interview with Social Work Admissions Committee prior to enrolling in further social work courses.
Additional courses, as noted in the application for admission form, must be completed prior to petition for admission to the major.
Before enrolling in any social work classes, it is the responsibility of the student to consult with their social work advisor regarding any prerequisites for social work classes. The criteria for remaining in the program includes:
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.O, with a 2.5 GPA for all social work courses.
- Must earn a minimum of a "C" in each social work course.
- Continue to demonstrate an aptitude for a social work career.
- Adhere to all academic expectations of the university and the social work program.
- Adhere to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.