The Social Work Program at Mississippi State University is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Social work is a challenging and rewarding profession with the primary goal of enhancing individual functioning and promoting human rights and social and economic justice. The Bachelor of Social Work graduate is prepared to pursue graduate social work education or to work as a generalist social work practitioner in a variety of practice settings. These include, but are not limited to the following: child welfare service agencies, family services, medical hospitals, mental health clinics, public health clinics, home health agencies, nursing homes, industries, juvenile and family court, shelters for battered women and children, neighborhood and community services.
The Social Work curriculum is grounded in a liberal arts perspective. This liberal arts perspective enhances the person-in-environment focus of generalist social work practice. A student may declare social work as a major at any time in his or her academic career. There is a formal admission process into the program. Some upper division courses are restricted to students who have been admitted to the program. To be eligible for admission to the social work program students must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0;
- Complete two of the following social work courses with a minimum grade of “C”: SW 2303 Social Welfare Policy I, SW 3003 Social work with At-Risk Populations, and SW 3013 Human Behavior in the Social Environment I;
- Complete SW 2313 Intro to Social Work (including 30 hrs of service learning experience) with a minimum grade of B;
- Complete an “Application for Admission”; and
- Complete an application with three reference letters and participate in a personal interview with Social Work Admissions Committee.
The following liberal arts courses must be completed prior to petition for admission to the major:
|EN 1103||English composition I||3|
|or EN 1163||Accelerated Composition I|
|EN 1113||English Composition II||3|
|or EN 1173||Accelerated Composition II|
|MA 1313||College Algebra||3|
|BIO 1004||Anatomy and Physiology||4|
|PS 1113||American Government||3|
|PSY 1013||General Psychology||3|
|SO 1003||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|EC 2113||Principles of Macroeconomics||3|
Before enrolling in any social work classes, it is the responsibility of the student to consult with their social work advisor regarding any prerequisites for social work classes.
The criteria for remaining in the program include:
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.0, with a 2.5 GPA for all social work courses.
- Must earn a minimum of a “C” in each social work course.
- Continue to demonstrate an aptitude for a social work career.
- Adhere to all academic expectations of the university and the social work program.
- Adhere to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics.